I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for interesting looking food. When I have kids some day, I'm sure they will love their plates because I love serving food that is appealing and fun for the eyes.
That's why, when I was at the market last week, I had to have this purple cauliflower. Isn't it pretty?! It was too hard to resist! That being said, I really don't even like cauliflower. But I really haven't had it since I was a kid either, so I thought I'd give it a try.
This recipe was great a letting the cauliflower be the star. I really thought it was very good! The cheese was not overwhelming at all, it just added a nice smoothness to the cauliflower. And of course, you can use this recipe with whatever color cauliflower you want! All in all this was a great veggie side dish!
1 head cauliflower
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 lg. onion, sliced thin
Salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c. fine bread crumbs (I used Italian Style)
1/2 c. Panko (I added this)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Cut off cauliflower flowerettes.
2. Steam until tender (approximately 20 minutes). (I don't have a steamer so I just boiled the flowerettes in a bit of water on the stovetop until they were tender.)
3. Meanwhile saute onions in oil until golden.
4. Pour in fine bread crumbs with the onions. Stir.
5. Layer cauliflower, cheese and onions in a baking dish.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and top that with Panko bread crumbs.
8. Place under broiler until cheese melts and top turns light brown.