Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chili with Cornbread Dumplings




I've been making this recipe for years now. It's healthy, flavorful, filling and is so easy to put together. The chili itself is on the mild side, so if you like really spicy chili I'd suggest putting more red pepper or chili powder in. But for me, this is perfectly spiced.

The addition of the cornbread dumplings really makes this dish for me. It's unexpected but goes just perfectly with the chili itself. Another great thing about this chili is it makes GREAT leftovers. After I make this chili I put the rest in individual containers and bring them to work over the next week or so.

This can be made vegetarian or non-vegetarian. I've done it both ways and it always comes out great. I'll include the directions for both versions.

This is always a great recipe and something I hope you'll like as much as I do!

Ingredients
Source: "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole, page 160-161

Chili
1 lb. ground turkey breast (optional)
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 can chopped tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
3 cans reduced sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I have also used a mix of beans...black beans and great northern beans also work just fine)
1 can diced green chili peppers (4 oz)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Dumplings
1 1/2 cups reduced fat biscuit mix
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/3 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup corn kernels
Paprika

Directions

Coat a large pot (I use a dutch oven) with non-stick spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the turkey to the pot and cook, stirring to break up the meat, for 5 minutes or until brown and crumbly (skip this step for a vegetarian version).

If not using meat, add 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil to large pot and warm over medium heat.

For vegetarian or non-vegetarian version, continue with the following steps.

Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chili powder, cumin and red pepper. Stir in the tomatoes (with juice), beans, tomato sauce, and chili peppers (with juice). Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer.

To make the dumplings, stir together the biscuit mix, cornmeal, cheese, cumin and chili powder in a medium bowl. In another small bowl, mix milk and corn. Add to cornmeal mixture and mix until just moistened.

Drop the dumpling mixture by heaping tablespoons onto the chili, covering the surface but with a little chili showing between dumplings. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Spoon into bowls and serve.

1 comment:

savvygreenmom said...

Can I just say that I love Ddumplings so much that I think I could almost eat them in every meal lol! Seriously - and I would love to make them using my favorite flour (Kamut Khorasan Wheat) YUM! Thanks for the recipe.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online