Monday, February 2, 2009

Chicken Stroganoff


I have to admit that I rarely use my crock pot. I think the only meal I've ever made in it is venison stew on Sundays during hunting season. The reason for this is I will not leave it alone during the day when I'm at work. I know, I know "that's what it was designed for" and "It is like keeping a lamp plugged in" blah blah blah. It gets hot and smells delicious and hot+ delicious smells = my husband's 120 lb dog jumping on the counter and starting the place on fire or making a disastrous mess.

However, I did see this Chicken stroganoff recipe on Lemons & Love and though it looked really good. So I made it on Sunday and got to smell the delicious aroma all day long!

This was really good! I stirred it too much during the day so I ended up with more shredded chicken then I did with chicken "chunks" which resulted in a less then desirable presentation. When I served my husband he kind of looked at me like "what is this slop you're feeding me?" but as soon as he took a mouthful I heard a really big "YUM" come from him! He and I both really loved it. It tastes WAY better then it looks and he has already requested I make it again. I was a little hesitant about the recipe itself because I felt like it should be cooking in the "creaminess" all day, but it really worked out well. I also added some onions, shallots and garlic just because I thought it would work well and my husband would be very disappointed if I made him a meal without onions.

Ingredients
Adapted from Lemons & Love, originally from www.Allrecipes.com

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed (I used 3 whole chicken breasts)
1/8 cup margarine (I used 3 tbsp unsalted butter)
1 .7 oz package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup (I made my own condensed cream of chicken soup..recipe can be found here)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove freshly minced garlic
3 tbsp Chicken Stock
Egg Noodles

Directions

Put chicken, margarine, dressing mix, onions, shallots, garlic and chicken stock in slow cooker; mix together and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.

Add cream cheese and cream of chicken soup, mix together and cook on high for another 1/2 hour or until heated through and warm.

Serve over egg noodles.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I know what you mean about the chicken shredding. I'm glad you liked it. I need to make this again soon.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Sounds like a delicious recipe and I'll have to give this a try soon!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online