Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bête noire




For as long as I can remember, this has been my absolute favorite dessert. Since my mom and dad brought me to a wonderful local French restaurant when I was just a girl, I just couldn't get enough bête noire. It's rich, dense and oh so chocolatey. Never did I think it was something I could make at home.

But I attempted it for a recent dinner party I hosted and I am SO glad I did!!! This amazing flourless chocolate cake was just perfect and just like I remember. You can also make this dessert up to two days ahead which is great for when you are entertaining. It it just so indulgent, and certainly a dessert to impress.

Ingredients
Source: Epicurious, Originally from Bon Appétit, September 2006

Cake
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar

9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, diced
18 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used semisweet)
6 large eggs

Ganache
1 cup heavy whipping cream
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used semisweet)

Directions

For cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment round; butter parchment. Wrap 3 layers of heavy-duty foil around outside of pan, bringing foil to top of rim. Combine 1 cup water and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk sugar syrup into chocolate; cool slightly. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan.

Bake cake until center no longer moves when pan is gently shaken, about 50 minutes. Remove from water bath; transfer to rack. Cool completely in pan.

For ganache:
Bring whipping cream to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cake still in pan. Gently shake pan to distribute ganache evenly over top of cake. Refrigerate cake in pan until ganache is set, about 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.

Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake; release sides. Cut cake into wedges and serve with whipped cream.

6 comments:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

That looks so decadent! Absolutely gorgeous too!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is just STUNNING!! I love it. How perfect for a dinner party! :)

Memória said...

What a beautiful, flourless cake!! YUM!

Esi said...

My mom made this a couple of years ago and I have never forgotten it. So decadent and beautiful.

Cate said...

That's a beautiful cake! I've never heard of it before, but now I definitely want to give it a try!

Freight audit said...

Looks very fabulous. I like it.. I want to have this one.. Keep it up. Amazing cake.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online