Monday, January 11, 2010

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers





Bell peppers are something I don't eat much of. I don't hate them, but again I don't really love them either. But I always remember my professor in nutrition class telling us how bell peppers have more vitamin C then oranges. They certainly are good for you, especially when you stuff them with more good things.

To try something different from the traditional rice and beef stuffed pepper that my mom used to make, I decided to stuff my peppers with quinoa. I don't think I need to say how great quinoa is for you...it's a great source of protein.

I really enjoyed this recipe. It was certainly different then the stuffed peppers I was used to, and was a great, filling vegetarian meal that is really comforting.

Ingredients
Adapted from The Kitchen Sink

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make it veg.)
1 bell pepper, halved and seeded
2 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup cannellini beans
1 small shallot, minced
1 tomato, diced
salt
pepper
Aprox. 2 tbsp grated cheese (I used mozzarella)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Split the peppers in half and clean them out; place them in the baking dish. Roast for 20 minutes.

Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and reduce heat and cook until the broth is absorbed, stirring occasionally. During the last minute or two of cooking, add green onion, shallot and garlic to the quinoa.

In a medium bowl add tomatoes, beans and cooked quinoa. Mix together gently.

Stuff quinoa mixture into par-roasted peppers. Top with grated cheese and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve hot.

4 comments:

teresa-bug said...

I am looking for different ways to make Quinoa. This is perfect...thanks!

Stephanie Quilao said...

Love Quinoa! You just made me really hungry :-) I tweeted this: http://twitter.com/noshtopia/status/10940333281

Jos said...

This looks awesome!!

Anonymous said...

chicken stock isn't vegetarian, lol!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online