Sunday, December 6, 2009

Candy Cane Cookies




When I saw these cookies on Good Things Catered, I knew I had to make them for my cookie tray this year.

While they were a bit on the time consuming side, I thought that they were totally worth it. They were nice and light with the perfect amount of peppermint. Not to mention they are totally adorable and add beautiful color and whimsy to any cookie tray.

These are now officially on my yearly Christmas cookie recipe list!
Ingredients
Source: Good Things Catered

1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. butter, room temperature
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
3 ½ c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp red food color (plus more to the color you desire) (I used gel color)

Directions
- Cream together sugar and butter
- Add egg, then milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- Stir food color into one half.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (I chilled overnight)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For each candy cane, shape one rounded tsp dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on clean surface. (don’t use flour or it won’t stick to the other half) (I had to work on a very lightly floured surface because the dough kept sticking to my counter. This worked fine.)
- Place one red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool completely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! I LOVE those cookies!! They totally make Christmas for me! :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online