Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Snowflake Cake





This past weekend I hosted a holiday brunch for some close family and friends. And of course, I had to make a cake. This was a gingerbread cake with creamy gingerbread frosting. The whole thing was topped in homemade fondant and the snowflakes were piped on the cake freehand with royal icing. I chose to use the rope boarder for the bottom, which I also did in royal icing.

If you're wondering why there is a big space at the top of the cake, that's because there was *supposed* to be a cake topper up there. I made a snowflake out of royal using the color flow technique however it was just too delicate and fell apart as I was taking it off the wax paper. Ahhh well, live and learn.

Besides the cake topper incident I was very pleased with the cake and had SO much fun making the snowflakes. After all, I am one of those rare breed of people who LOVES the snow and loved making my cake look all snowy! And, as I served this cake, snow started falling from the sky in droves which made for quite the conversation starter!

8 comments:

Lois B said...

This looks too good to eat. What a creative idea!

Angie said...

Wow, this cake is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a stunning cake! Perfect as a centerpeice for a winter dinner :)

Jade said...

Beautiful!! You did an amazing job.

Kelsey said...

How pretty!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Absolutely stunning!

Colleen said...

Beautiful, as always :)

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! And the gingerbread cake sounds delicious!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online