Friday, December 18, 2009

Chocolate Covered Cherries





When my friend Julie sent me the link to this recipe...I was admittedly hesitant. I have never liked chocolate covered cherries but then again I've never had a homemade one either. Needless to say, I was intrigued by the recipe and decided to try it because I know many people do like these little treats for the holidays.

I am SO glad I tried it! These are really fantastic. After you let them sit for a week or so the filling gets all mushy and delicious. That combined with the dark chocolate shell just makes for a fabulous little treat.

I actually made this recipe two ways. One with regular maraschino cherries out of the jar, and the other with maraschino cherries that I soaked in a cherry liqueur for the adults. I haven't tried the ones with alcohol yet since they are still soaking, but I know we will just love those too!

Ingredients
Adapted from: AllRecipes

60 maraschino cherries with stems (I used stemless)
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons corn syrup (I used about 4 tbsp...3 wasn't enough for me as the mixture was still very dry)
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 lb. chocolate confectioners coating (I used dark chocolate candy melts)

Directions

Drain cherries and set on paper towels to dry thoroughly.


In a medium bowl, combine butter and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and knead to form a dough. Chill to stiffen if necessary. Wrap each cherry in about 1 teaspoon of dough. Chill until firm.


Melt confectioners' coating in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Dip each cherry in by its stem, and place on waxed paper lined sheets. Chill until completely set. Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Best after 1 or 2 weeks.

5 comments:

Mrs.CFH2 said...

My husband's grandma LOVES chocolate covered cherries! I'll have to try these for her!

Lois B said...

I'm addicted to the store-bought kind. I've got to try these!

Memória said...

Oh no! Now I can eat these whenever I want by making them at home hahaha. These look fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a way to make these for ages because they're my husband's favorite. These look perfect!

Heidi said...

yum to the nom to the mm mmm mmmm. this is different. I refuse to use exclamation marks to understate how awesome this will be.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online