Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Focaccia







Focaccia Bread has been on my list of things to make for a while now, so as soon as I saw this recipe on Good Things Catered, I printed it out and made it on the earliest day possible and I'm so glad I did! I mean, how can you possibly go wrong with bread, caramelized onions, roasted garlic and lemon? You can't! There is no possible way! My husband and I absolutely loved this bread. And in addition to being absolutely delicious, it was one of the easiest breads I have ever made which is a huge plus!

Whether you make this for company or just dinner for two, you will be so glad you did. It will most certainly dress up your table and your meal.

Ingredients:
Source: Good Things Catered

1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water, 110 degrees
1 1/2 c. milk, room temp
4 Tbsp olive oil, plus 2 tsp for onion
5 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced (I didn't have thyme, so I used a full sprig of rosemary and it was just wonderful!)
2 small yellow onions, peeled, halved and sliced (I used about 1 1/2 onions, but they were very large)
5 garlic cloves, roasted (or roasted while dough is rising) and halved from end to end
1/2 lemon, sliced very thin
kosher salt

Directions
-In medium bowl, combine warm water and sprinkle with yeast.
-Let stand until frothy, about 5-10 minutes.
-Meanwhile combine flour, salt and thyme in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
-Once yeast mixture is frothy, add milk and olive oil and stir to combine well
-Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and turn mixer on low to combine well.
-Fit mixer with bread hook and knead until mixture is not sticky, but springy and elastic, about 5 minutes.
-Remove dough from bowl, wipe out, spray with non-stick spray, knead dough on counter into a ball.
-Place dough back into bowl, cover with a cloth and let sit in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
-Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium low heat, add an additional olive oil until hot.
-Add onions to pan as well as a hefty pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, on low until caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.
-Place in bowl and set aside.
-Once dough is risen, spray a large jelly roll pan with nonstick spray.
-Punch dough down and spread out over jelly roll pan evenly.
-Top with caramelized onions, halved roasted garlic, and lemon slices.
-Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
-Using finger tips, make small indentations across the dough.
-Drizzle very lightly with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle top with kosher salt to taste, and place in oven to bake.
-Bake until turning slightly golden brown, about 25-30minutes.
-Remove from oven, let cool for at least 5 minutes, cut and serve.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh does that look ggod. It must smell wonderful with all the lemon....

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww! I'm so flattered! Flattered you wanted to make it and VERY happy you liked it!!! :)

Maria said...

I love the lemon slices, nice touch!

Ellie said...

This looks wonderful!

LoveFeast Table said...

Oh My! Two of my favorite ingredients with bread!!! How can you go wrong?

Colleen said...

Two of my favorite flavors - looks great!

Melissa said...

I made this a few days ago, minus the lemons (didn't have them on hand) and it was so incredible! It is now my go to recipe. Num num num. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online