Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quinoa Corn "Salad"




Ever since my husband and I got turned on to Quinoa, I've been looking for a new way to make it but nothing ever stuck out. So when I read about this recipe on the Thyme for Nourishment blog, I decided to try it out. However, I really didn't have many of the ingredients on hand, so this recipe is very loosely based on the original! Either way, it was still fantastic. The Cumin and lime "dressing" really added a great level of flavor to the quinoa and the corn made it oh so pretty. I also used Organic Red Quinoa, just because I think it's prettier then the white and would look nice with the corn.

So all in all, I say that this dish is vistually very appealing and it's delicious! A great way to make Quinoa!

Directions
Adapted from Thyme for Nourishment
Original recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 can corn, cooked and drained
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1/2 shallot, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 onion, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil
salt
pepper

Directions
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add shallots, garlic and onion. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and all liquid is absorbed.

In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over cooked quinoa, then add the corn, and toss everything together to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot. Serves 2.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Find more Quinoa Corn Salad in my recipe blog search:
HERE

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online