Friday, November 21, 2008

Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken



I got the idea for this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole. The concept is great, but I have totally gone on my own with the recipe and I love it. This is a staple in our house. Of course, I had to fatten it up a little. "My" version is as follows:

Ingredients
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken breasts, pounded thin and dried
1/2 "box" of fat free Philly Cream Cheese
1 tbsp flour
1-2 fresh sages leaves, minced
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1/2 cup Italian style Panko Bread crumbs
1/2 cup Plain Panko Bread crumbs
salt
pepper
nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, flour, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment. Dry chicken breasts on both side, and lay out on a plate, "bottom" side up. Spread cream cheese mixture on the bottom of both chicken breasts, and "roll" breasts around the cream cheese. Secure with toothpicks. Again, make sure top of chicken breast is really dry. For extra insurance, dust with a little flour. Set chicken aside.
In a small bowl, beat egg and milk together. On a separate plate, combine both types of breadcrumbs. Grease a 16"x9" baking dish. Dip chicken "roll" in egg wash, then coat in breadcrumb mixture. Place in baking dish, cover with foil and cook for about 45-55 minutes. (I'm always a little over-cautions when cooking chicken!) or until chicken is no longer pink on the inside.

White Wine sage sauce is an excellent sauce for this dish.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online