Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pork Chops with Gouda and Balsamic Carmelized Onions


It's pretty obvious that I make a lot of chicken...too much. What can I say, I'm comfortable with it and it always turns out good. Well this week my husband requested something different, so I turned to Pork Chops which I have never made before! I know, how sad. I've just never been a huge pork fan. So as I was browsing through Blog recipes that called for pork, I saw this recipe on the "Elly Say Opa!" Blog. When I saw Gouda and caramelized onions, I knew it would be something that my husband and I would both enjoy. I thought this recipe was really good. I did a few things differently...mainly I did not add mushrooms (which are my mortal enemy...thinking about them makes me gag) and I added a good amount of balsamic vinegar to the carmelized onions. Also, I had a problem with my Gouda oozing out of the pork chop from the slit I made in the center so I had to add a slice to the top of the chop before I put them in the oven for the final time. Next time I will run a toothpick through the cut to hold in the cheese better. All in all this recipe was great and I will definately make it again!!!

Ingredients

2 pork chops
1 oz. shredded or sliced smoked gouda
1 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 yellow or vidalia onion, cut in half and sliced
2 sprigs thyme (omitted)
2 cloves garlic, minced (omitted)
1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced (omitted)
2 Tbsp. dry sherry or marsala (I used merlot instead)
1/3 cup beef broth
salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350. Slice a pocket into each pork chop and fill it with the gouda. Season the chops with salt and pepper. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Sear the pork chops for about a minute per side, just to brown them. Move the chops to a baking dish and cook in the oven until just slightly underdone.

Meanwhile, melt the butter to the skillet in which you pan-fried the chops, over low heat. Stir in the onions and thyme and cook over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally--about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium high and add the sherry (and balsamic). Scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and cook until the sherry is almost completely evaporated, a couple minutes. Stir in the broth and cook it for another couple minutes to reduce it, slightly, too. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the pork chops back into the skillet, spooning the onions and sauce over them. Place the skillet in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the pork chops have cooked and the sauce has thickened slightly.

1 comment:

Cate said...

This sounds soooo good!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online